Home : Resources : Go Guam : PCS Information : Housing


Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)

Per Defense Travel Management Office, “the Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) is designed to partially offset housing expenses at overseas duty locations when Service members live in privately leased housing on the local economy when government-leased or on-base housing is not available. Approximately $2 billion is paid in OHA benefiting nearly 55,000 members annually. The Overseas Housing Allowance Program is a reimbursement system that takes into consideration the amount Service members spend on rent, utilities and associated move-in costs.”

The following allowances are components of OHA:

Maximum Rental Allowance
Rental allowances are computed using actual rent payments as reported through the local finance systems. The maximum rental allowances are set so that 80 percent of members with dependents have rents fully reimbursed. Some members are expected to pay some out-of-pocket amount. The housing costs of new arrivals are considered when adjusting rental allowances. Unaccompanied members or members without dependents are entitled to 90 percent of the with dependents rate. All members are reimbursed for rent up to the amount of the lease or the allowance, whichever is less.

Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance
The Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance is paid monthly to defray expenses paid directly to utility companies and expenses incurred from recurring maintenance and minor repairs for the leased residence. Expense data gathered from members receiving OHA and paying their own utility bills determines this allowance, set to cover the 80th percentile of reported costs. Members with utilities paid by the landlord do not receive this allowance; it is added to the rental allowance. Members without dependents and paying their own utilities, are entitled to 75 percent of the rate set for members with dependents.

Move-in Housing Allowance (MIHA)
MIHA partially defrays move-in costs associated with occupying privately leased quarters. This allowance is composed of three components: MIHA/Miscellaneous, MIHA/Rent, and MIHA Security.

  • MIHA/Miscellaneous is an up-front, lump sum payment that reflects average expenditures to make dwellings habitable (e.g., transformers, supplemental heating equipment, wardrobes, electricity connection). Members with and without dependents receive the full allowance with their first OHA rental payment. This allowance does not cover any moving-out costs.
  • MIHA/Rent is an actual dollar-for-dollar reimbursement made in the field for customary or legally required up-front rent-related expenses, such as rental agents' fees.
  • MIHA/Security is a dollar-for-dollar reimbursement made for security related enhancements to the physical dwelling when quarters must be modified to minimize exposure to terrorist or criminal threat. Locations must be designated MIHA Security locations for this payment to be authorized.

More information regarding each allowance is available on Defense Travel Management Office’s OHA Overview Fact Sheet, accessible at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/Fact_Sheet_OHA.pdf, and at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/ohaComp.cfm

Please refer to the OHA table, OHA calculator (www.defensetravel.dod.mil)  and  (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/oha.cfm) for more information.

CNIC Housing website:          http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Guam/index.htm
Housing office Front Desk:     (671) 333-2081/2082
Fax No:                                   (671) 339-4048
Email Address:                       fannie.meno.ctr@fe.navy.mil

Housing Early Application Tool (HEAT)

Temporary Lodging

Incoming personnel should seek temporary lodging accommodations at the Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (NGIS) first. If NGIS is not available, a certificate of non-availability must be obtained prior to making accommodations at an approved hotel. Please refer to the Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) chart  for per diem rates, and the TLA briefing and acknowledgement for more information regarding TLA eligibility and policies. TLA is claimed every 10 days and allowed up to 30 days.  If TLA is required for more than 30 days, a request for exception can be made. Route and approval will be through NBG.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

Per Defense Travel Management Office, the purpose of Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE is “To partially offset lodging and meal expenses when a member and/or dependents need to occupy temporary lodging in CONUS ICW a PCS.”

TLE is payable when temporary lodgings are occupied:

  1. before leaving the old CONUS PDS, designated place (see JTR, APP A), or a member's CONUS Home of Record (HOR) or technical school, if the member is reporting to the first PDS,

    Note: TLE is payable incident to a move when entering active duty to the first PDS.
  2. after arriving at the new CONUS PDS (including a member's first PDS, if the member is reporting there from HOR or initial technical school), designated place
  3. when house-hunting is performed after the member completes PCS travel to the new PDS (i.e., ICW a PCS after arrival at the new PDS),
  4. for the elapsed time between PDSs at the old or new PDSs when PCS per diem is not payable, and
  5. when the member's PCS authorization/order is cancelled/revoked after the member occupies temporary quarters, the member is authorized TLE reimbursement up to the maximum number of days allowable.
  6. upon initial arrival at the CONUS PDS while waiting for government quarters assignment, or while completing arrangements for other permanent living accommodations when government quarters are not available.

    Note: The days covered must have been spent in the vicinity of the old/new PDS, designated place, and/or the member's CONUS HOR, or initial technical school if ordered to active duty.

For more information and FAQs regarding TLE, visit http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqtle.cfm#Q1


Navy Gateway Inns & Suites in Guam offers beautiful scenery with excellent customer service, and rooms starting at just $60.00 per night.


Toll Free: 1-877-NAVY-BED
Main: (671) 339-5259
DSN: (315) 339-5259
Fax: (671) 339-6250
Website: http://ngis.dodlodging.net/

If bringing a pet to Guam, it is recommended that you call Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (NGIS) and check availability for pet-friendly lodging upon your arrival to Guam:

Additionally, if staying in temporary lodging, be aware that the Fleet and Family Support Center on Naval Base Guam has a Loaner Locker, which provides dishes, pots and pans, utensils, appliances, highchairs, pack-n-plays and more. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/FFSCGuam or contact FFSC:

FFSC Tel: 671-333-2056/57/58
Email: ffscguam@fe.navy.mil

Dislocation Allowance (DLA)

Per Defense Management Travel Office, “the purpose of DLA is to partially reimburse a member, with or without dependents, for the expenses incurred in relocating the member's household on a PCS, housing moves ordered for the government's convenience, or incident to an evacuation. This allowance is in addition to all other allowances authorized in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR) and may be paid in advance.” For more information regarding DLA, visit http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/otherratesDLA.cfm

Cost of Living Allowance (COLA)

Per Defense Travel Management Office, “COLA is paid to active duty personnel to offset the high costs of living when stationed overseas.” Please refer to the following calculator (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/colaCalc.cfm) to determine current COLA rates. For more information about COLA, please visit http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/cola.cfm

  • Single Sailor/Unaccompanied: Please refer to the Welcome Aboard for government bachelor quarters
  • Unaccompanied Housing Front Desk : (671) 333-2284/2285
  • Unaccompanied Housing Supervisor: (671) 339-4387
  • Unaccompanied Housing Manager: (671) 339-6183