USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN 730)
USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN 730) is the fifth submarine of the Ohio class of ballistic missile submarines (SSBNs), named in honor of the late U.S. Sen. Henry M. Jackson (1912-1983). As a result, it is the only Ohio-class submarine not named after a state.
The contract to build Henry M. Jackson was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation at Groton, Conn., on June 6, 1977, and her keel was laid on Jan. 19, 1981. SSBN 730 was originally intended to be named USS Rhode Island; however, following the death of Sen. Jackson Sept. 1, 1983, SSBN 730 was renamed in his honor, and the name Rhode Island was transferred to a later Ohio-class submarine, USS Rhode Island (SSBN 740).
Henry M. Jackson was launched on Oct. 15, 1983, sponsored by Jackson's daughter, Ms. Anna Marie Jackson, and commissioned on Oct. 6, 1984, commanded by Capt. R. Tindal (Blue Crew) and Capt. M.A. Farmer (Gold Crew). Originally equipped with the Trident C4 ballistic missile, Henry M. Jackson was later converted to carry the Trident II D5 missile.
On May 15, 2012, Henry M. Jackson became the first Ohio-class SSBN to complete 80 Trident strategic deterrent patrols.