Home : SUBPAC Commands : Submarine Tenders : USS Frank Cable (AS 40) : Sailor Resources : Housing Policy

Region Private Rental Housing Policy

This information is taken from Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR), Appendix K and COMNAVMARIANASINST 11101.2 and is intended to give you basic information on the private housing policy in Guam. 

Renting Out in Town

So you want to live off base in a rental property. This is what you need to know. The Navy will give you an allowance to cover a majority of the cost. Unlike in CONUS, where you are given a fixed amount for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), overseas the Navy provides Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) that varies with the rental amount of the property. 

OHA Overview

All members authorized to live in private sector housing are authorized OHA, provided an Individual Overseas Housing Allowance Report (DD Form 2367) is completed by the service member and approved by the local family housing office. 

OHA Ceiling

OHA authorization and payment is based on a maximum amount per month based on your present paygrade. This is known as the OHA Ceiling. 

For example: An E-9 that is married and has 3 dependents is authorized an OHA Ceiling Rate of $2450.00 per month. This means that the E-9 is authorized to establish a residence up to his OHA Ceiling Rate of $2450.00 per month and any amount over will be considered out of pocket expenses. If your rental amount is less than your OHA Ceiling, you will receive dollar for dollar the amount of lease agreement.

For more information visit the following website: https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/ 

OHA Payment

OHA is comprised of three separate components: rental allowance, utility/recurring maintenance allowance, and a one-time Move-in Housing Allowance. Rental allowance as stated above is based on each individuals OHA rental ceiling. Utility/recurring maintenance allowance is provided to cover the cost of all or a majority of utilities (power bill, water bill, etc…). However, if your rental amount includes utilities you will not receive this allowance. In addition, if your rental amount covers some of the utilities you will receive a percentage of this allowance. One-time Move-in Housing Allowance is provided to defray the move-in costs associated with occupying private sector housing. 

For more information and rate tables visit the following website: https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/ 

Purchasing a Home

To determine your monthly OHA if you were to purchase a home, follow this simple equation. Divide the actual purchase price of the residence by 120 to derive the monthly OHA Amount. For example: If you were to purchase a home that cost you $200,000.00. You would take $200,000.00 and divide that by 120, your monthly OHA amount would be $1667.00 plus utilities allowance. Just remember that you still must be at or under your OHA Ceiling Rate and any amount over will be considered out of pocket expenses. 

NOTE: Settlement costs, fees for title search, other legal related costs are not included in determining the actual purchase price of a residence. 

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

TLA is an allowance designed to partially reimburse service members and their families for the added living costs at an overseas duty station when it is necessary to occupy temporary lodging incident to a permanent residence. 

Navy Housing Office is the only office that can authorize TLA. When you go to Navy Housing to authorize TLA they will need the following from you:

  • Updated Page 2
  • Orders endorsed by the command
  • TLA Brief Sheet and Worksheet

TLA will be terminated immediately for the following reasons:

  • Failure to report to the Housing Office within 48 hours of reporting.
  • Failure to aggressively seek private sector housing.
  • Delaying occupancy of housing or quarters due to personal reasons.
  • Failure to process TLA every 10 days. 

Geographical Bachelor Housing

**Effective 1 October 2013, Naval Base Guam will no longer authorize Geographical Bachelors to reside in the barracks. If you plan to complete an unaccompanied tour you will reside onboard the ship. House Hold Goods (HHG) shipments and dual housing allowances will not be authorized for unaccompanied Geographical Bachelor Sailors. Guam is a non-restricted dependent tour, therefore if you elect to report as an unaccompanied Geographical Bachelor your housing entitlement will be BAH at dependents location upon approval upon arrival. Ensure that you are in contact with your sponsor to identify any issues.