Submarine Group 7

Commander, Task Force 54 / Commander Task Force 74

Yokosuka, Japan
Home : SUBPAC Commands : Submarine Groups : Submarine Group 7 : Submariner Resources : Newcomers Welcome

» Download your Welcome Aboard Package here.

Welcome Aboard

Dear Shipmate,

Congratulations on your upcoming assignment to Submarine Group Seven,  Task Force 74, and Task Force 54!  Let me be the first to extend a personal welcome to the staff and to Japan.  You will be joining a dedicated team of professional Navy men and women and I am confident that while you will find this tour uniquely challenging it will also prove to be a most rewarding experience. Japan, and in particular Yokosuka, will likely be one of the most memorable  duty stations of your career. You will have the chance to experience a way of life very different from our own.  Approaching this experience with an open mind and adventurous spirit will be  instrumental as you learn about and appreciate one of the world's most interesting cultures. All of us at Submarine Group Seven look forward to helping you get settled in this fascinating country.  To assist you, you have been assigned as a sponsor. He/she is your liaison with this command and will help make your arrival and orientation go as smoothly as possible.  Communication with your sponsor is key to a successful transfer,  so feel free to write or call him anytime if you have questions.  Please work with your local personnel office to ensure your overseas and flag duty screenings are completed for you and any family members who will be accompanying you in Japan.  Please ensure these screenings are completed in a timely fashion and correctly reported via record message traffic.  In preparing for your transfer, since conditions are always changing, communicate frequently with your sponsor and use the information provided in the welcome aboard package that has been mailed to you. It is strongly recommended that you visit a Fleet and Family Service Center to obtain information about the Yokosuka area from the sites program.  Additional updated information can be found by visiting the Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka web site at and our command web site at under the newly reporting personnel link, with this information and your sponsor's assistance, I trust your transfer will be smooth. Your indoctrination and check-in will include a four-day area orientation brief and inter-cultural relations seminar. The training is scheduled for the second full week after you arrive. When you receive your PCS travel itinerary, please notify your sponsor and the sponsor coordinator so that your seat for this invaluable seminar can be confirmed.  

I wish you a pleasant and safe journey, and look forward to personally welcoming you aboard.

James E. Pitts
Rear Admiral, USN
Submarine Group 7
Commander Task Force 74/Commander Task Force 54







1.  Shall be assigned berthing in Unaccompanied Housing (UH).  May be authorized to move off-base when:


      a.  The occupancy rate in UH is 95% or greater, and


      b.  The rack they occupy is needed to berth more junior permanent party personnel.


2.  The following four-step process shall be followed by applicants seeking an off-base move to obtain approval and authorization to draw housing allowances:


            (a) Step one:  When the occupancy rate reaches 95%, the UH Staff notifies the resident at the top of the waiting list and issues a Statement of SNA to the resident.


            (b) Step Two:  After receiving the Statement of Non-Availability (SNA), the member submits a special request chit to move off-base via their chain of command. A copy of the SNA must be attached to the chit.


            (c) Step Three:  If approved to move off-base, the member reports to the Yokosuka Housing Service Center (YHSC) (Bldg. 1441) with approved special request chit(s) and SNA to schedule and attend the Housing Referral brief.  The brief is held Monday through Friday at 0845.  The YHSC will schedule an off-base housing brief, assist the member with finding housing off-base, and start the other paperwork necessary for the move.  Applicants reporting to the YHSC without the approved chit(s) and SNA will be referred back to the UH staff for assistance.


            (d) Step Four:  Once a unit is selected, submit a special request chit requesting to receive advance OHA/MIHA in the requested amount.


            (e) Step Five:  Take the approved request chits to Unaccompanied Housing (Bldg. 3333) to schedule the start-paperwork signing appointment.


            (f) Step Six:  Attend the start-paperwork signing appointment and select a move-in date.


            (g) Step Seven:  Bring the drafted lease and approved request chits to CSG-7 ADMIN to receive advance OHA/MIHA.


            (h) Step Eight:  Once you receive your advance payments, meet with landlord or housing management to make payment and receive keys.



1.  Due to the limited number of rooms, Sailors in this category are required to reside off-base, with full entitlements. 


      (a) Step One:  Schedule and attend the Housing Referral brief at the Yokosuka Housing Service Center (YHSC) (Bldg. 1441), by calling 243-9037 or in person.  The brief is held Monday through Friday at 0845.


      (b) Step Two:  Submit a request chit to live off-base and draw overseas housing allowance/move in housing allowance (OHA/MIHA)


      (c) Step Three:  Receive financial counseling from the Command Financial Specialist.


      (d) Step Four:  Obtain a Statement of Non-Availability (SNA) from CFAY Unaccompanied Housing (UH) (Bldg. 3333). Service member must bring the following:


            - Approved NAVPERS 1336/3 Special Request Chit (Completed Step One)

            - Current DFAS Leave and Earning Statement

            - Financial Counseling Certification (Completed Step Two)

            - Copy of Page 2

            - Copy of Orders


      (e) Step Five:  Visit the YHSC or meet with an off-base agent to view available units.


      (f) Step Six:  Once a unit is selected, submit a special request chit requesting to receive advance OHA/MIHA in the requested amount.


      (g) Step Seven:  Take the approved request chits to Unaccompanied Housing (Bldg. 3333) to schedule the start-paperwork signing appointment.


      (h) Step Eight:  Attend the start-paperwork signing appointment and select a move-in date.


      (i) Step Nine:  Bring the drafted lease and approved request chits to CSG-7 ADMIN to receive advance OHA/MIHA.


      (j) Step Ten:  Once you receive your advance payments, meet with landlord or housing management to make payment and receive keys.



1.  Geographically separated families (geographic bachelors) are normally eligible for BAH based on the members and families at each location. Upon reporting to Yokosuka, Japan you will need the following documentation to draw Basic Housing Allowance (BAH) based on dependent location.


      a.  Certified Official Marriage License


      b.  Official State issued Birth Certificate


      c.  Current lease, rental, or mortgage agreement


      d.  Current utility bill


      e.  Original proof of school enrollment


2.  Living Allowances.


      a.  Cost of Living Allowance (COLA).  COLA is an entitlement given to military servicemen and women living in high costs areas or stationed overseas to help offset expenses.


      b.  Overseas Housing Allowances (OHA).  Shore duty military personnel on unaccompanied orders are authorized to live off base and draw OHA.  For eligible military members, OHA is provided, which serves the same basic purpose as BAH.  With OHA, there is an affordable rate set for each rank based on “with or without” family members.  If your monthly rent is below your affordable OHA rate, you will receive the amount of your rent.  Military members also receive a utility allowance to help offset the cost of utilities (when utilities are not included in their rent).


      c.  Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA).  MIHA is an allowance to defray the move-in costs associated with occupying privately leased quarters covered under the OHA program.  There are three types you will receive:  MIHA miscellaneous, MIHA rent, and MIHA security.  To be eligible for MIHA, you must be eligible for OHA.  You should try to get the landlord to roll expenses that are not covered or reimbursed into the rent.


3.  On Base Housing as Resident Advisor (RA).


      a.  Residential Advisors are typically E7-E9 unaccompanied personnel.  Geographic Bachelors (GBs), and service members on an overseas unaccompanied/dependent restricted tour, may also apply to serve as RAs. 


      b.  Installation Commanding Officers (COs) may designate RAs up to five percent of their permanent party E1-E3 personnel requirement (maximum of five percent equates to one RA for every 20 E1-E3s residing in unaccompanied housing (UH)).


      c.  Personnel desiring consideration as an RA must have a minimum of one year remaining at their assigned command.  An application package shall include a special request chit approved by the chain of command, a copy of current orders, and a signature on the application.


4.  Off Base Housing.  All military (E4 over four years and above) on unaccompanied orders are eligible to live off base, with Command approval.  Shore duty military personnel on accompanied orders, who choose to come unaccompanied, are required to check in with UH.  There are five major steps in the off base housing process:


      a.  Attend Housing Mandatory Briefing.  Complete the application and learn the process at the daily newcomers’ brief, held at the YHSC at 0815.


      b.  Begin House Hunting.  Review the Housing Referral listings at the Housing Office (Bldg. 1441) and schedule appointments to view off base homes or visit the Agencies.


      c.  Select a Home.  Negotiate terms and complete the required documents.


      d.  Start Paperwork.  Schedule a lease signing appointment, move-in date, arrange for appliances and/or household goods furnishing delivery, and prepare the forms required for OHA and MIHA entitlements.


      e.  Sign Lease/Move-In.  Sign the lease documents with the Agent and pay move-in fees in yen (Japanese dollars), receive the final OHA document from PSD/Disbursing/finance office, keys, and receipts.


5.  Sharing Houses.  Military members authorized to reside off base are allowed to share houses.  The rent will be divided equally between the renters, with OHA/Utilities allowance adjusted accordingly. 



1.  Once orders are received, complete the Overseas and Special Program Screening Form.


2.  Apply for a No-fee Passport for you and your dependents.  If you are going to travel outside of Japan, recommend you also apply for a regular passport (fee applies).


3.  Request Family Entry Approval (FEA) Letter/Message. This is the message from your detaching command that must be sent as soon as possible, so you can have permission to bring your dependents to Japan.


4.  Schedule Household Goods (HHG) Move.  Recommend doing an Unaccompanied HHG shipment due to the long lead times required for regular HHG.  Housing can typically get you into a residence within two weeks of arriving.  Loaner furniture will be provided, however, you will still need the regular items like pots, pans, utensils and extension cords.  These items can be shipped in your unaccompanied HHG shipment.  Keep in mind that HHG will not ship without your FEA.


5.  Make a reservation at the Navy Lodge for 30 days within two months of reporting to Japan


6.  Start the process for importing pets with veterinarian (180 days prior).  See enclosure (8) for more information on pet requirements.


7.  Hand-carry the following items:


      a.  Passport for each family member.


      b.  Proof of citizenship for naturalized-citizen family members.


      c.  Immunization Record for each family member.


      d.  Copies of insurance policies.


      e.  Social Security cards.


      f.  Driver’s licenses.


      g.  School records.


      h.  Medical/Dental records for each family member.


      i.  Copy of any Powers of Attorney.


      j.  Copy of Will(s).

      k.  Credit cards, if desired.


      l.  Inventories of accompanied baggage, all shipments, and stored possessions.


      m.  Copy of the packer’s inventory.


      n.  Receipt for baggage.


      o.  Inventory of safe deposit box contents.


      p.  Extra passport-size photos for each family member.


      q.  Travel orders (minimum 10 copies).


      r.  Family Entry Approval message (this is the actual approval message received from PSD Yokosuka) (10 copies).


      s.  Car papers, including record of car/motor serial numbers and extra set of keys.


      t.  Two sets of keys to your baggage.


      u.  All transcripts (college/university), licenses or certificates for employment purposes.


      v.  Résumés (copies) for spouse employment assistance. Include copies of all reference letters and points-of-contact list.


8.  Papers needed for the Personnel Office:


      a.  Last evaluation.


      b.  End of Tour award.


      c.  Current copy of your page 2.


      d.  Flight itinerary for all family members.


      e.  All receipts.


      f.  Lease termination or Military housing release form (needed for pay purposes at PSD).


      g.  SGLI paperwork.


9.  Transiting to the base from the Narita Airport in Terminal 1 from customs:  take a left toward the north wing the military liaison counter is located at the far end of the north wing (see enclosure (14)):


      a.  Copy of your orders.


      b.  Family Entry Approval.


      c.  No pets are allowed on the bus to the base.  Reserve a pick up with the FAST office on base prior to travel:  Commercial phone 011-81-46-816-5770 or Google FAST Yokosuka.  Your sponsor should be able to assist with this.


      d.  Reserve the PSD bus from the airport to the base prior to travel.  When traveling from Narita and Yokota, make a reservation on the CNIC Yokosuka website.  If you are traveling from Haneda, public transportation via metro or POV (government) from the sponsor is required (see enclosure (14)).


10.  Housing


      a.  Housing application (Can be submitted prior to arrival).


      b.  Family Entry Approval message.


      c.  You will reside in the Navy Lodge or Gateway Inn until housing documents are completed (approximately 2-3 weeks). 


11.  Automotive


      a.  You will obtain a U.S. Forces, Japan driver’s license in the Area Orientation Brief (AOB).


      b.  Current driver’s license.


      c.  Family Entry Approval message.


      d.  A Japanese style car may cost approximately $3000-$5000 U.S. dollars.  There are certain rules and regulations on registration and inspections.  It will cost approximately $300 U.S. dollars to obtain insurance.  Additionally, there are costs associated with registering your vehicle in Japan.  The costs vary greatly depending on make, model, and type of vehicle.


12.  School Registration


      a.  Passport.


      b.  Social Security Card.

      c.  Copy of your orders.


      d.  Family Entry Approval.


      e.  Vaccinations on a DOD verification form.


      f.  School record release forms.


      g.  Previous records to help generate a  Jr/Sr High schedule.


13.  Medical


      a.  Medical Record.


      b.  Family Entry Approval message.


      c.  Request records from last treatment facility for family members’ records.


      d.  Complete Tricare enrollment at Naval Hospital Yokosuka.



From Narita Airport:

If your arrival is at Narita International Airport, there is the Department Of Defense (DOD) service counter to which you report.  They will assist and ensure you are escorted to the shuttle bus from the airport.  Please ensure to have an extra copy of your PCS orders and Military ID to give to the DoD Counter Representative.  The bus ride to the base could take up to two or three hours. 


DOD Liaison (Terminal 1)

From North Wing:

After departing customs (northern wing), look left across the corridor and you will see the DOD Liaison counter to the left of the N2 Exit.  The counter is directly across from a mini convenient store Kiosk.


From South Wing:

After departing customs turn left and walk down the corridor until you see DOD Liaison counter located on the right side just past the N2 exit.


Terminal 2 

Upon departing Customs, go outside to bus stop 8 or 18.  Catch a free shuttle that runs every 15 to 20 minutes to Terminal 1.  Get off at Terminal 1 at the Arrival Area on the street level.  Enter the terminal, turn right, and the DOD Liaison counter will be located just past the N2 exit.


CFAY Narita Shuttle/Bus:

Open seven (7) days a week.  Make reservations online at (click Narita Airport Shuttle Bus located under popular links).  You will have to provide a copy of your orders.


Narita Bus Schedule:



It is imperative to engage with your sponsor as soon as you know that you are bringing an animal to Japan.  The process can take 6 months to complete, but with open communication with your sponsor, Yokosuka Branch Veterinarian Services, and the Airlines, the process will be successful and as smooth as possible.


Dog and Cat Processing Summary:


1.  Microchip


      a.  ALL pets entering Japan MUST have a valid identification microchip implanted.


      b.  Japan requires International Standards Organization (ISO) [15 numbers] or ISO compatible microchips [10 numbers and no letters or other characters].


      c.  If the implanted microchip is not ISO or ISO compatible, the Government of Japan Animal Quarantine Service (GOJ AQS) will require the importer to provide a compatible reader to confirm the microchip number.


      d.  The microchip must be implanted prior to the first rabies vaccine to validate all vaccines and blood tests done for importation.


      e.  Be sure to have the number accurately written down on all documentation.


2.  Rabies Vaccinations


      a.  These MUST be inactivated or killed virus vaccines to be accepted.


      b.  The two most recent vaccinations must have been given at least 30 days apart.


      c.  The second of the two most recent vaccinations must have been given before the first vaccination expired, i.e., within the one year or three year window, depending on the vaccine manufacturer’s guidelines.


      d.  The arrival date in Japan must be before the most recent vaccination expires.


      e.  Both of these must be done after the microchip is implanted.


      f.  The pet must be at least 91 days old for the first vaccination.


      g.  Rabies vaccines given at a military Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF), and documented on DD Form 2208, are considered valid.


A pet that is rabies vaccinated prior to microchip implantation may be able to have it validated via a FAVN test.  Please see the April 2010 Exception schematics for further details (  When in doubt, do not hesitate to contact the receiving installation veterinarian.  Failure to follow the

guidelines may result in an extended quarantine.


If the pet has lived in Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, or Guam for at least 180 days prior to flying directly to Japan, rabies vaccinations and a FAVN are not required.


3.  FAVN (Fluorescent Antibody Viral Neutralization) Test


      a.  This must be done after microchip implantation and both rabies vaccinations given.


      b.  FAVN may be drawn the same day as the second rabies vaccine per GOJ AQS regulations. For best results, both approved laboratories recommend waiting a minimum of 21 days after the second rabies vaccination before drawing the FAVN.


      c.  The sample must be taken before the most recent vaccination expires, i.e., within the one year or three year window.


      d.  To avoid quarantine, the arrival date in Japan must be between 180 days and two years after the sampling date.


      e.  A passing level of ≥ 0.5 IU/mL must be documented


      f.  The following are the two approved laboratories:


            (1) DoD Food Analysis and Diagnostics


                  ATTN:  Food Analysis Lab

                  2899 Schofield Road, Suite 2630

                  JBSA Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-7583

                  U.S. Phone:  (210) 295-4604

                  DSN:  (312) 421-4604

                  U.S. Fax:  (210) 295-4612

                  Sample Receiving Area:  (210) 295-4210

                  Email: or 








            (2) Kansas State University Rabies Laboratory

                  2005 Research Park Circle

                  Manhattan, KS 66502

                  U.S. Phone:  (785) 532-4483

                  U.S. Fax:  (785) 532-4474/4522




4.  Advance Notification


      a.  The GOJ AQS requires a notification form be sent to the pet’s port of entry 40 days prior to travel, if traveling on a commercial airline.  This step is NOT required for animals traveling on military air (MILAIR).  In most cases, if traveling on a commercial airline, your initial port of entry is Narita Airport.  If you do not have your flight information, the GOJ AQS recommends sending the notification with as much information as possible, with an estimated date of entry.


      b.  The form can be found on the GOJ AQS website at:


            (1) Dog:


            (2) Cat:


      c.  Use the following to help you to fill out the forms:


            (1) Examples:


            (2) Ports of Entry contact information:


            (3) In the “Remarks” section of this form, state “This pet belongs to a US SOFA sponsored family and will be assigned to (list duty site).”


      d.  Once your travel plans are finalized, you may contact your port of entry with the updated information on a modification form.


            (1) Website: html


            (2) Modification Form: modnotification.pdf


5.  Health Certificate


      a.  GOJ AQS recommends that this be obtained within two days of travel, but no more than ten days prior to travel.

      b.  Military Veterinarians (VCO and GS) should use the Form MDJ OP 2209 (  With this form there is no requirement for further endorsement or Forms A & C.


      c.  Civilian Veterinarians (including NAF) must be USDA accredited and are required to use the APHIS 7001 and GOJ AQS Forms A & C: 


APHIS Form 2001:









            (1) The state USDA Veterinary Services Area Office MUST endorse APHIS 7001 and Forms A & C, with a raised seal.


            (2) Although the APHIS 7001 is valid for 30 days, the GOJ AQS will only recognize it if it was issued within 10 days of travel. A supplemental APHIS 7001 may be issued without USDA endorsement, to cover the travel period, as long as the dates for the endorsed copy is still valid.


            (3) Rabies certificates must be submitted to the stat USDA office along with the health certificate for review.  However, a raised seal endorsement by the USDA is not required.


6Additional Forms and Documents


            (1) The GOJ AQS recommends that an additional Export Declaration form be filled out by the pet’s veterinarian with USDA endorsement. It can be found at: http://www.maff.go.  jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/pdf/CertificateA041126.pdf


      a.  Have additional copies of the Permanent Change of Station Orders ready to verify SOFA status.


      b.  If the pet is travelling separately on a commercial flight as freight, the airline carrier will likely issue an “air waybill” or air consignment note. It is recommended that you maintain additional copies.


      c.  If the pet is traveling with someone other than the SOFA status service member or dependents, a power of attorney authorizing that individual is required.



7.  Quarantine in Japan


      a.  The GOJ AQS requires that any pet entering Japan without having completed the 180 day waiting period, following FAVN sampling, will need to complete that period at a GOJ quarantine facility or an approved kennel. The kennel at Yokosuka Naval Base is a GOJ approved kennel.


      b.  The GOJ AQS has allowed an exception ONLY for those SOFA status personnel residing on US military bases. In this exception, a pet may complete the quarantine “at home” as long as that pet does not interact with animals other than those in the same household and does not leave the military base until cleared from quarantine at the local VTF.  Whether a service member is placed in housing that allows pets is at the discretion of the gaining installation.  If the service member is living off base, the animal must remain in the on base kennel or another service member can take custody if they reside on base.


      c.  Any fees incurred for pet travel and quarantine are the sole responsibility of the service member.


8.  Arrival in Japan


      a.  All pets MUST check into the local military VTF within 72 business hours of arrival, regardless of port of entry(commercial or military).  This is when the pet will be registered at the VTF and the quarantine status recorded.


      b.  Pets on quarantine MUST return to the local VTF for quarantine checks:


            (1) One month after arrival, and


            (2) On the final quarantine date or six months after arrival, whichever comes first.


      c.  Failure to comply with quarantine check procedures may result in:


            (1) Suspension of privileges at the local VTF, and


            (2) Fines imposed by the GOJ.


      d.  If the local military VTF is on a separate installation, the pet may travel from one installation to the installation where a VTF is located.


9. Traveling from Rabies Free Countries


      a.  Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, and Guam are the only authorized rabies free countries.


      b.  The pet must have lived in one of these locations:

            (1) Since birth, or


            (2) For at least 180 days prior to flying directly to Japan, or


            (3) Kept in the location since being directly imported from Japan.


      c.  If these requirements are satisfied, the pet only requires a microchip, official health certificate, and advance notification.


10.  Exporting


      a.  The GOJ AQS requires that pets leaving Japan be inspected at the local GOJ AQS office in addition to any veterinary visits. The forms can be found at:


            (1) Overview:


            (2) Dog:


            (3) Cat:


      b.  If the pet is to return to Japan at a later date, then all of the above requirements still apply and must be kept up to date. Otherwise, the pet will be subject to quarantine.


11.  AirlinesEach airline has its own requirements for travel and pet transportation, so it is important to contact your commercial airline carrier or MILAIR representative (Air Mobility Command) for any additional information


12.  Pets cannot ride on the official Navy buses to Yokosuka, including in the baggage compartment. Contact your Sponsor for assistance with making arrangements for transportation.  Pets cannot stay at the Navy Lodge or NGIS.  Contact the NEX Kennel for a reservation for pet boarding.  The number is 011-81-46-816-4530 (from the US).  The NEX Kennel is open 0900-1500, Monday-Friday.  (Yes, someone is there on the weekend to care for the pets.) ALSO contact the Navy Lodge to let them know about your arrival with a pet.  If you will arrive after the NEX Kennel is closed, the Navy Lodge can direct you to a temporary alternate pet shelter. 


Yokosuka Branch Veterinary Services

Yokosuka Branch Veterinary Services are a dedicated group of military and civilian veterinary professionals committed to providing quality and affordable veterinary care to the Military Working Dogs (MWDs), family pets, and Pets Are Worth Saving (PAWS) adoption candidates on Yokosuka Naval Base.

You may think that our hospital is just for dogs and cats.  However, you'll be surprised to learn that we also provide care for birds, reptiles and pocket pets such as rabbits, chinchillas, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs, not to mention an occasional coy.

We offer a variety of services for your furry, feathery, and scaly friends:

  • Anesthesia
  • Dental Services
  • Dermatology
  • Emergency and Critical Care Medicine
  • General Medicine
  • Immunizations
  • Laboratory Services
  • Ophthalmology
  • Pharmacy (including Prescription Diets)
  • Radiology
  • Surgery
  • Pet Importation Requirements (pdf download)

Emergency Visits
You may bring your pet in for an emergency, non-appointment visit at any time during regular business hours. Pets with life-threatening problems take priority over more stable patients and are examined first.  If your pet has an emergency after regular business hours, call the appointment number and you will be given the Veterinary Corps Officer duty phone number.  If the Veterinary Corps Officer is not available, please consult the list of off-base veterinarians given to you at your registration appointment.  This list is intended to give you options but is not an official endorsement by the Department of Defense or the US Army Veterinary Corps.

Waiting Room Procedures
We would like you to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment. Ensure that your pets are either on a leash or within a sturdy carrier.  We make every effort to see clients promptly, but scheduled appointments may get disrupted by the arrival of critically ill patients or unexpected emergencies.

Payment Policies
For outpatient visits, payment is expected at the time that services are given.  Should your pet need hospitalization, your payment is due at the end of your pet's visit or when your pet is discharged from the hospital.  Cash, personal checks, and major credit cards with proper identification (Military ID) are accepted.

When admitting your pet for hospitalization, please be advised that the admission procedure will take at least 15 minutes and sometimes longer, so it is important that you plan accordingly.  Pets having anesthesia or surgery must not have food or water for 12 hours before you bring him or her to the hospital.  Check-in for anesthesia, surgeries or dentals or other diagnostics is 0800 to 0830.

The Yokosuka Branch Veterinary Services can provide you with a list of Japanese veterinarians and teaching hospitals should your pet’s medical condition exceed our capability.

Communicating with your Veterinarian
If you have a question or concern and would like to speak to your pet’s veterinarian, please call our appointment line and leave a message. The Veterinarian will try to call you back as soon as possible.

 E-mail Us:
Telephone: Local DSN 243-6820 / International 011-81-46-816-6820
Fax: Local DSN 243-3988 / International 011-81-46-816-3988

Location: The Yokosuka Branch Veterinary Services is located in Building #H1230, behind the CFAY Fire Station.

Hours of Operation: Monday - Thursday: 0730 - 1530 (Closed 1100 - 1200 for lunch) / Friday: 0730 - 12:00

We are closed the last Friday of every month for inventory and building maintenance, as well as US federal holidays.

Important Links:

United Airlines -

American Airlines -

Delta Airlines -

Air Mobility Command -


Again, congratulations on your orders to the foremost operational Submarine Group Staff in the world!  This assignment brings with it the unique opportunity to live and experience everything Japan has to offer.  By now, your sponsor should have initiated contact with you, and you have already received some valuable and pertinent information regarding your upcoming assignment. 

This packet serves as a supplement to the Fleet Family Support Center (FFSC) Welcome Aboard Handbook provided by your sponsor.  I encourage you to visit the information websites listed by FFSC and use social media to gain as much information as you need. 

Communicate often with your sponsor and we will see you soon.

Safe Travels!

Shuttle #

Departure Time at Narita Airport

Shuttle 1


Shuttle 2


Shuttle 3



From Yokota Air Base:

If you are flying from Seattle to Yokota, a bus will be available to bring you to PSD, Yokosuka.  You will need at least 4 copies of your orders flying this route.  A copy is collected in Seattle, Yokota, and Yokosuka (PSD), leaving one copy for you.  Pets are not allowed on the bus.  Arrange separate transportation for your pet with your sponsor.


If you fly into Yokota Air Force Base, follow these directions. When you clear customs and claim your luggage, you will walk out into the terminal waiting area.  Ask the service counter to point out DOD buses, and board the bus going to Yokosuka.  It is a two hour bus ride and you will arrive at the same ultimate destination at your new homeport, Yokosuka, Japan.  When you arrive at your destination, you will be transported to the Yokosuka Base PSD bldg.


Yokota Bus Schedule:

Although your sponsor will meet you at the airport, the following is provided for informational purposes only.  No reservations are needed.  Bring a copy of your orders for us to keep.  Check-in time is at 0730 and departure time (from Yokota) at 0800.



Yokota-Yokosuka (one way)


Yokota-Yokosuka (one way)


Yokota-Yokosuka (one way)



There is no bus shuttle for arrivals at Haneda Airport.  You will have to coordinate transportation with your sponsor.  If you are a sponsor, you will be able to check out a government vehicle and retrieve toll vouchers from N1 or N41. 


Japanese Trains:

While extremely efficient and reliable, the Japanese train system may be daunting for a new arrival.  There is an express train from Narita, which will take you to Yokohama, where you will switch to the local train system.  If you are traveling with a significant amount of luggage, this is not the way to go; take the bus or arrange separate transportation with your sponsor.  Below is a link to the Narita Express (NEX) schedule.  There is also a link to Hyperdia, which will display the train routes and time based on your input. 


Useful links: e_nex_u/index.html