USS JACKSONVILLE (SSN 699)
USS JACKSONVILLE (SSN 699) named for Jacksonville, Florida, and is the first ship to bear its name. The first name for the city of Jacksonville was "Cowford" because cattle crossed the St. John's River at the narrowest point where Jacksonville is now located. The British settled Cowford in 1763. In 1822 the city was renamed Jacksonville in honor of its territorial governor Andrew Jackson.
From these beginnings, Jacksonville has emerged as the largest and most populous city in Florida, becoming the "Bold New City of the South."