COMMANDER, SUBMARINE SQUADRON SEVEN
Naval Historical Center records show Submarine Squadron SEVEN was first established during the Second World War, organized with two submarine divisions (COMSUBDIVs 71 and 72), whose mission was to conduct anti-submarine warfare (ASW) training. The command was homeported in Bermuda during the latter part of 1942 and consisted mostly of older R- and S- boats. In April 1943, the Operational Training Command, Atlantic Fleet was established with Rear Admiral D. B. Berry in charge. Operational control of Submarine Squadron Seven was shifted from the Commandant Naval Operating Base, Bermuda, to Commander Operational Training Command. Late in 1943 two Free French submarines were made available for the Training Command under United States supervision. Five more were added in 1944. After the invasion of Sicily and the landing at Anzio in January 1944, five Italian submarines came across the Atlantic in February 1944 and were assigned to ASW Training Command. These foreign submarines were assigned by COMSUBLANT to Submarine Squadron SEVEN. The French and Italian submarines were excellent for training purposes due to their heavy hull construction and they made good substitutes for the newly commissioned U.S. Navy submarines rerouted to the Pacific for combat duty. With the curtailment of the escort program, the activity at Bermuda was no longer needed and was transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Following cessation of hostilities in the Pacific, Submarine Squadron SEVEN was disestablished in 1945. The current Submarine Squadron SEVEN was established in July 1951 at Naval Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
COMMODORE - CAPT Rick J. Stoner | Biography